Sunday, November 30, 2014

BBC Radiophonic Workshop



I came across BBC Radiophonic Workshop recordings in 2006 and recently dug them up again for another listen.  At the time, I didn't know anything about the history or musicians who made these recordings so thought I'd share my findings.  The sound effects, songs, and experiments in sound are very unique and worth a listen.  Also, these musicians were using electronics long before people thought it was ok to do so which makes it cool...not unlike Lou Reed singing about heroin but nerdier.

Read about the history here:  Brief / Extensive



Delia Derbyshire caught my interest though most significantly.  I realized that she contributed to White Noise album in 1969 which is one of the first examples of electronics being mixed with rock n roll, not unlike United Space of America.

One of my favorite tracks from the 1969 album "My Game of Loving" (beware:  there is some hardcore sex samples throughout):


And from some of her work at the BBC:

No comments:

Post a Comment